Topic: New Post at RME: Who Was George Polya's Intended Audience? (Or More Mathema
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: New Post at RME: Who Was George Polya's Intended Audience? (Or More Mathema

Martin and others,

Michael Paul Goldenberg's blog post is mainly about Polya's heuristic
methods of problem solving and of approaching mathematics as mathematicians
do. He mentions in his blog post that these similar-minded thinkers
from Hungary had helped added these heuristic methods to their elementary
schools. He does say that "Mathematics and Plausible Reasoning" is mainly
geared towards a more advanced audience but that the ideas of problem solving
and the attitudes of approaching mathematics as contained in this two-volume
book can apply to any math class. That is, the ideas are illustrated in
this book with more advanced examples, but the principles are similar.

In short, Michael's argument is that Polya intended for his methods of
approaching mathematics as problem solving are appropriate for any math
class at any level but that his opponents deny that claim.

I did look again at the link I had provided, and the writer of the e-mail
that Wayne Bishop quotes does mention Polya's book "Mathematics and Plausible
Reasoning." I think I missed it the first time because it was not in
quotation marks or in some other font to indicate that it is the title of
a written work. But could the writer of the e-mail have misunderstood
that someone else was referring to Polya's methods in general or Polya's
book "How to Solve It"? I can't tell because we don't see what that
writer is responding to. My experience with Wayne Bishop lines up well
with what Michael says in his post. I would like to track down this
post sometime, a post on math-teach in which I remember him telling me
that he's happy to see a student who can work all the standard exercises
in a textbook. And it doesn't matter to him if that student cannot solve
any math problems that are new to him or her.

Jonathan Groves