Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"|-|ercules" <radgray123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote
>> "|-|ercules" <radgray123@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote

>>> You didn't follow the similarity.
>>>
>>> Given the increasing finite prefixes of pi
>>>
>>> 3
>>> 31
>>> 314
>>> ..
>>>
>>> This list contains every digit of the infinite expansion of pi.
>>>

>> But pi doesn't appear on the list.
>>
>> So?

> that doesn't matter, because that's a convergent sequence.

So what? If this has something to do with Cantor, you don't need to
construct pi as some limit of a sequence, just whack pi in as the first in
your list of Reals.

Yes, Reals form the limit of sequences of rationals, and you can draw up a
list of terminating rationals as Cantor's list, and any Real can be derived
as the limit of some subsequence of these Rationals, but that still doesn't
change the fact that the specific Real does not appear on the list. Cantors
proof only applies to a list of Reals, not a sequence of Rational
approximations, which are themselves uncountable.

> This is what matters.

No, that sequences in list of Reals can define other Reals (as there limit)
is interesting, but nothing to do with Cantor's diagonal proof.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb