Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 14:45, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> "WM" <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message

> > On 15 Jun., 12:26, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
>
> >> (B) There exists a real number r,
> >> Forall computable reals r',
> >> there exists a natural number n
> >> such that r' and r disagree at the nth decimal place.

> > In what form does r exist, unless it is computable too?
>
> Of course its computable.
>
> You compute it by changing the nth digit of the nth number on the list to a
> 7, unless it is already a 7 in which case you make it an 8.
>
> Sounds pretty easy to compute, I would have thought. I reckon I could code
> it in about 2 minutes.
>

> > But if r is computable, then this theorem shows that the computable
> > numbers are uncountable. Contradiction.

> Huh?
>

> > And if r is not computable, then it is impossible to prove
> > disagreement with any r'.

> Computing the diagonal number is actually very easy.

Therefore the diagonal number is a computable real.
Then Cantor's proof works exclusively on a countable set, namely the
set of computable reals.

And it shows that this set is uncountable.
This result is wrong.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules