Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 18:46, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> WM says...
>

> >On 15 Jun., 16:32, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> >> The proof does not make use of any property of infinite lists.
> >> The proof establishes: (If r_n is the list of reals, and
> >> d is the antidiagonal)

> >> forall n, d is not equal to r_n
>
> >As every n is finite, it belongs to a finite initial segment of the
> >infinite list.

> I'm not sure what you are saying. The fact is, we can prove
> that for every real r_n on the list, d is not equal to r_n.

Of course. Every real r_n belongs to a finite initial segment of the
list.
That does not yield any result about the whole list

> That means that d is not on the list. There is no extrapolation
> involved.

Look here: We can prove for any finite segment
{2, 4, 6, ..., 2n}
of the ordered set of all positive even numbers that its cardinal
number is surpassed by some elements of the set.

Nevertheless this appears not be a proof that the cardinal number of
the whole set is less than some elements of the set.

Why should the extrapolation be more valid for Cantor's list?

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie