Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 18:57, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:

> >We should not use oracles in mathematics.
>
> On the contrary! Many real numbers in physics are not computable
> to infinite precision (for example, the fine structure constant).

Numbers are computable. The fine structure constant is a name. It has
soem 20 letters.

> Yet, we can certainly compute other real numbers *relative* to such
> parameters.

There are a countable number of parameters and a countable number of
relative numbers.

> We can easily devise an algorithm to compute the square
> of the fine-structure constant, for example. This algorithm will
> take as an input an approximation to the fine-structure constant,
> and will return an approximation to the square of the fine-structure
> constant.
>
> In this sense, the square of any real number is computable relative
> to that real number.

The fine structure constant, or what we know about it, is a name.
This is physics - and it will be the last to support transfinity.

Every real number that can be communicated belongs to a countable set.
This set includes all names in all languages, all dictionaries (they
come at some later lines) and all objects relative to those.

0
1
00
01
10
11
000

It is impossible to diagonalise it. It is possible to diagonalise
infinite lists only when they have infinite lines. But never anybody
has obtained a meaning from an infinite sequence of digits. Beware:
This is not an infinite sequence of digits "0.111..." but a finite
definition (from which an infinite sequence can be obtained) that
cannot be used as a line in an infinite list to be diagonalized.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie