Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

Hello Herc,

To sincerely try to answer your title question, there are a number of
factors involved:

1) What you write is sloppy (mathematically) and so it's not
clear what you intend to say with your individual statements.

2) Some of the things you *seem* to be saying, are clearly (to
everyone else) incorrect. Maybe this isn't what you meant
to say, but (1) is getting in the way. That's YOUR problem,
not everyone elses...

3) Although you say many things that could be interpreted as true,
(typically "trivially true"), it's not normally clear where
you are heading with your argument, and so people will assume an
end goal (e.g. "disproving Cantor's xxx result") and argue
with you that your results do not disprove that, even if
you have not yet mentioned Cantor! :-) I don't think this
is entirely your problem, except that (1) and (2) have reduced
your credibility so much that people are not able to discuss
things with you on the basis of what you actually
write!
Putting it another way, if what you actually write is literally
gibberish, people will naturally try and be helpful, and argue
about what they think you might be *trying* to say. If you
corrected faults (1) and (2), people would be more willing to
listen to exactly what you say...

In theory, it should be possible for you to eliminate problem (1) by:
- thinking carefully about what you mean to say,
- listening to people objections to what you actually said, and
- rephrasing what you say in a precise way.

Maybe after doing that (2) will go away because people actually understand
what you intend. (Or maybe you really are just wrong, but at least you'll
know exactly why people believe this!)

From past experience, I don't think you are willing/able to do what it takes
to eliminate problem (1).

Well, let's look at what you say below in this light...

"|-|ercules" <radgray123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Consider the list of increasing lengths of finite prefixes of pi
>
> 3
> 31
> 314
> 3141
>
> Everyone agrees that:
> this list contains every digit of pi (1)

Literally this just doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean to say:

this list contains every finite prefix of the infinite
digit sequence for pi (1)?

I would agree with that...

(What you actually said is gibberish because the list is not a list of
digits. If we try to treat it as such, then the only digit in the list is
3).

> as pi is an infinite digit sequence, this means
>
> this list contains every digit of an infinite digit sequence (2)

Same again. Perhaps you mean to say:

this list contains every finite prefix of an infinite
digit sequence (2)?

I would agree with that, although it hardly says more than (1).

[My suspicion at this point is that your gibberish wording is actually the
*key* in some way to how you want to introduce some incorrect conclusion,
but time will tell on that. If I'm right, you won't like my clarification,
because it will make it harder for you to express your mistake...]

> similarly, as computable digit sequences contain increasing lengths of ALL

possible finite prefixes

> the list of computable reals contain every digit of ALL possible infinite

sequences (3)

Same again :) This is harder to guess what you're trying to say though...

There is no unique list of computable reals - however, people would agree
that the computable reals are countable, and so can certainly be enumerated.
Perhaps the actual list doesn't matter and we should just choose one?

Then there is the gibberish use of "every digit of" again. Probably this is
the same mistake as above, and you mean to say "finite prefixes"!

Also, now your talking about reals rather than digit sequences. These are
distinct objects, but there are obvious correspondences.

So taking these comments into account, is this what you meant to say:

Let CRL be a list of digit sequences covering all the
computable reals.

Then CRL contains every finite prefix of every infinite
digit sequences (3)

I would basically agree with that, if that's what you actually meant!
(Then I would wait for you to go further from this and conclude something
interesting, as so far there's nothing controversial...)

There is still the minor issue with my (3), that CRL contains only infinite
digit sequences, and so does not literally contain any finite prefixes. But
we could easily get around that e.g. by appending 00000000... to each finite
prefix, and I do not think this issue will cause us any problem.

Regards,
Mike.

> OK does everyone get (1) (2) and (3).
>
> There's no need for bullying (George), it's just a maths theory.
> Address the statements and questions and add your own.
>
> Herc
> --
> If you ever rob someone, even to get your own stuff back, don't use the

phrase
> "Nobody leave the room!" ~ OJ Simpson

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules