Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

|-|ercules

"Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote
> Hello Herc,
>
> To sincerely try to answer your title question, there are a number of
> factors involved:
>
> 1) What you write is sloppy (mathematically) and so it's not
> clear what you intend to say with your individual statements.
>
> 2) Some of the things you *seem* to be saying, are clearly (to
> everyone else) incorrect. Maybe this isn't what you meant
> to say, but (1) is getting in the way. That's YOUR problem,
> not everyone elses...
>
> 3) Although you say many things that could be interpreted as true,
> (typically "trivially true"), it's not normally clear where
> you are heading with your argument, and so people will assume an
> end goal (e.g. "disproving Cantor's xxx result") and argue
> with you that your results do not disprove that, even if
> you have not yet mentioned Cantor! :-) I don't think this
> is entirely your problem, except that (1) and (2) have reduced
> your credibility so much that people are not able to discuss
> things with you on the basis of what you actually
> write!
> Putting it another way, if what you actually write is literally
> gibberish, people will naturally try and be helpful, and argue
> about what they think you might be *trying* to say. If you
> corrected faults (1) and (2), people would be more willing to
> listen to exactly what you say...
>
> In theory, it should be possible for you to eliminate problem (1) by:
> - thinking carefully about what you mean to say,
> - listening to people objections to what you actually said, and
> - rephrasing what you say in a precise way.
>
> Maybe after doing that (2) will go away because people actually understand
> what you intend. (Or maybe you really are just wrong, but at least you'll
> know exactly why people believe this!)
>
> From past experience, I don't think you are willing/able to do what it takes
> to eliminate problem (1).
>
> Well, let's look at what you say below in this light...
>
> "|-|ercules" <radgray123@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Consider the list of increasing lengths of finite prefixes of pi
>>
>> 3
>> 31
>> 314
>> 3141
>>
>> Everyone agrees that:
>> this list contains every digit of pi (1)

> Literally this just doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean to say:
>
> this list contains every finite prefix of the infinite
> digit sequence for pi (1)?
>
> I would agree with that...
>
> (What you actually said is gibberish because the list is not a list of
> digits. If we try to treat it as such, then the only digit in the list is
> 3).
>

>> as pi is an infinite digit sequence, this means
>>
>> this list contains every digit of an infinite digit sequence (2)

> Same again. Perhaps you mean to say:
>
> this list contains every finite prefix of an infinite
> digit sequence (2)?

> [...]

Thanks Mike, very thorough. Although your statements contradict several other
sci.math posters.

Yes it's true I rely on people finding the simplest (in my mind) interpretation,
people manage to communicate in English in other topics why not maths?

It's far simpler to use the shortest description and allow for ambiguity (other interpretations)
If I give an explicit description then people will fault that some other way anyway,
and the meaning is lost.

I think
NO BOX CONTAINS THE BOX NUMBERS THAT DON'T CONTAIN THEIR OWN BOX NUMBERS

gives a clear *hint* of self reference at some level.

The actual single_interpretation_format of that sentence is not ambiguous, but tedious and less clear.

How high is this infinite stack of X's?

___X
__XX
_XXX