Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 21:03, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> WM says...
>

> >On 15 Jun., 18:46, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what you are saying. The fact is, we can prove
> >> that for every real r_n on the list, d is not equal to r_n.

> >Of course. Every real r_n belongs to a finite initial segment of the
> >list.
> >That does not yield any result about the whole list

> On the contrary, the definition of "d is on the list"
> is that "there exists a natural number n such that r_n = d".
> We proved "forall n, r_n is not equal to d". So that
> means "there does not exist a natural number n such that r_n = d",
> so that means "d is not on the list".
>
> We have thus proved something about the whole list.
>

> >> That means that d is not on the list. There is no extrapolation
> >> involved.

> >Look here: We can prove for any finite segment
> >{2, 4, 6, ..., 2n}
> >of the ordered set of all positive even numbers that its cardinal
> >number is surpassed by some elements of the set.

> >Nevertheless this appears not be a proof that the cardinal number of
> >the whole set is less than some elements of the set.

> So there we have an example of an illegitimate extrapolation.
> If you prove Phi(n) for an arbitrary natural number n, then you are allowed
> to conclude:
>
> forall natural numbers n, Phi(n).
>
> So you can conclude:
>
> forall natural numbers n > 0, the set of all even numbers less than or
> equal to 2n has a cardinality less than 2n.
>
> That's true. That's a legitimate proof. On the other hand, it is not
> legitimate to conclude:
>
> The set of all even numbers has a cardinality that is less than
> some even number.
>
> That's an unwarranted extrapolation.
>
> So there are legitimate proofs, and there are bogus proofs.

And Cantor's proof shows something for every natural number: Every
line numerated with a natural number from 1 to n does not contain the
diagonal.
But to conclude that the whole set, i.e., the infinite list, does not
conclude the diagonal is a bogus conclusion.
Not a legitimate proof.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules