Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<4e980d72-6504-45da-9126-0718bfa712e1@z8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 15 Jun., 14:45, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

> > Computing the diagonal number is actually very easy.
>
> Therefore the diagonal number is a computable real.

Given a list of computable numbers, it is, but one can also have a list
containing uncomputable numbers.

> Then Cantor's proof works exclusively on a countable set, namely the
> set of computable reals.

WRONG!

All one requires is that for each listed number a different decimal
digit position can be computed. So that, for example if the list is such
that the nth number can be computed to its nth decimal place, the list
need not contain ANY computable numbers at all.

> And it shows that this set is uncountable.

Since any such "antidiagonal" is at least computable from the list, all
it shows is that any list of reals is incomplete.

> This result is wrong.

That is what WM claimed years ago, and still has not proved.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb