Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 21:41, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> WM says...

> >> On the contrary! Many real numbers in physics are not computable
> >> to infinite precision (for example, the fine structure constant).

> >Numbers are computable. The fine structure constant is a name. It has
> >soem 20 letters.

> I can see that you don't understand the distinction between
> use and mention. "Daryl" is a name having five letters. Daryl
> is a human being.

If you think that the fine structure constant is a number, then you
should try to study a bit of physics in order to understand the
difference between facts and names.

Daryl would exist even it had no name.
A name that cannot be named cannot exist.
A number that cannot be defined does not exist.

Your incompetence does probably not allow you to understand that.
But even you should be able to understand the following:

Whatever language may be chosen: The number of finite definitions in
all languages over finite alphabets is a countable set.

Therefore Cantor's "proof" proves that a countable set is uncountable.
A fine result.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules