Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Aatu Koskensilta

Virgil <Virgil@home.esc> writes:

> But until you can determine which of those 10 cases, how can you
> compute the number?

You can't. The number is computable nonetheless, in the sense that there
exists an effective procedure for churning out its decimal expansion.

As noted, computability is a purely extensional notion. Recall the
classical recursion theory exercise, which we find, in some form or
other, in pretty much any text on the subject:

Let f : N --> N be a function such that

f(x) = 0 if Goldbach's conjecture is true, and 1 otherwise.

Is f computable?

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechan kann, darüber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb