Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 16 Jun., 02:39, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> > Nevertheless your "definition" belongs to a countable set, hence it is
> > no example to save Cantors "proof".

> > Either all entries of the lines of the list are defined and the
> > diagonal is defined (in the same language) too.

> Yes. If you provide a list of Reals, then the diagonal is computable and
> does not appear on the list.

Delicious. Cantor shows that the countable set of computable reals is
uncountable.

> > Then the proof shows
> > that the countable set of defined reals is uncountable.

> No, it shows that all "definable" (computable) Reals cannot be explicitly
> listed. This is *not* the same as being uncountable.

It is impossible to explicitly list anything infinite. You can
*define* a list by a_n = 1/n. But that is not the same as explicitly
list 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, and so on.

> > Or it does not
> > show anything at all.

> It shows that all "definable" (computable) Reals cannot be explicitly
> listed. This is a well known proof in set theory. This is *not* the same as
> being uncountable.

Cantor "proved" that the reals are uncountable because they cannot be
listed. Now you say: Unlistability has nothing to do with
uncountability.

> > To switch "languages" is the most lame argument one could think of.
> > The diagonal argument does not switch languages. And it cannot be
> > applied at all because the list of all finite defiitions does not
> > contain infinite entries. Those however are required for the diagonal
> > argument.

> No, that paragraph above is close to gibberish. Cantor said and proved that
> any purported list of all Reals cannot contain all Reals. His proof is
> simple and clear, provides an explicit construction of at least one missing
> Real, and does contain or require any concepts of uncomputable numbers, or
> use of the Axiom of Choice.

The proof is invalid. What is proved is: Any finite initial segment of
a list does not contain the finite diagonal number. That is correct.

It is impossible at all to obtain a number from an infinite sequence
because the number cannot be known unless the sequence has been
finished. But an infinite sequence is never finished.
For example: You cannot find out what number I have in mind when
writing
0.1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111and
so on.

You may guess that I mean 1/9 but I could also intend to write a 2 at
a later position or to switch to zeros.

I am deeply impressed how few people see that from a finite definition
D one can obtain an infinite sequence S:
D ==> S
but that the arrow cannot be reversed:
S ==> D
is wrong unless the S is completely given. It is never complete,
however.

> Perhaps if you were to identify the step in Cantor's proof that you consider
> wrong, then we might gain some idea as to what you are actually objecting
> to?

Of course. Cantor assumes that the list represents finished infinity.
But infinity cannot be finished by definition. Without finished
infinity, there is always a further line of the list.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie