Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 16 Jun., 14:19, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 6/15/2010 4:33 PM, WM wrote:
>

> > On 15 Jun., 21:38, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> >> WM says...

> >> It certainly is. It uniquely characterizes a real number,
> >> so it's a definition.

> > It does not. If it would, the number could be computed.
> > Who defines what Turing machine number n would do?

> Can you say "circular argument"?  It's not a number because it's not
> computable and that proves that all numbers are computable.-

To be computable can be use as a *definition* of number.
What is a natural number that cannot be counted or used for counting?
What is a name that cannot be named?
(A stone remains a stone, even if nobody names or knows it, but a
thought that remains unthought forever is not a thought.)
A real number could also be called a computable entity.
Then we would earlier have recognized the charlatanism implicit in
uncomputable or undefinable real "numbers".
Cantor himself did not share that idea. He was convinced that the
number of definition is not countable. Otherwise he was too much
inclined to real mathematics to have upheld the claim of an
uncountable set of reals.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules