Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Jack Markan

On Jun 16, 12:34 am, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> In article <874oh3ir6m....@dialatheia.truth.invalid>,
>  Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...@uta.fi> wrote:

> >  Let f : N --> N be a function such that
>
> >    f(x) = 0 if Goldbach's conjecture is true, and 1 otherwise.
>
> >  Is f computable?
>
> Not yet!

There exists an algorithm to compute f. We don't know what the
algorithm is (we don't know whether it is to set f(x) = 0 for all x,
or to set f(x) = 1 for all x), but still the algorithm exists - either
the algorithm is to set f(x) = 0 for all x, or the algorithm is to set
f(x) = 1 for all x..

In ordinary study of computability, that is what it means to say that
a funciton is computable - that there exists an algorithm to compute
it.

If you wish to include also that the algorithm is KNOWN (known to
whom? and known when?) then you need to find some treatment that
supports that notion or invent your own.

But then would you say that each function becomes computable only
historically as certain people, through history, figured out
algorithms for various functions? So whether a function is computable
is relative to what certain people know at certain times (and even as
some people know at a certain time but other people don't)?

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie