Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Jack Markan

On Jun 16, 11:46 am, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 16 Jun., 18:07, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...@uta.fi> wrote:

> > it's not
> > uncommon for people to mistakenly think, in a classical context, that
> > countable sets come equipped with a designated bijection witnessing
> > their countability.

> The proof of countability of S does not require a bijection of S with
> N but only an injection of some superset of S into N.

He didn't say "bijection with N" (I take it by N you mean the set of
natural numbers or perhaps the set of positive natural numbers).

But, every countable set does have a bijection with N or has a
bijection with some member of w (the set of natural numbers). Aatu's
point here is that in classical mathematics the definition of 'x is
countable' is 'there exists a bijection from x onto the set of natural
numbers or onto a natural number', and that definition does not
include a clause that we (me, you, whoever) KNOW of a particular
bijection that we can specifically mention or define.

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie