Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 15 Jun., 21:11, "Mike Terry"
<news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:

> 1) What you write is sloppy (mathematically) and so it's not
> clear what you intend to say with your individual statements.

But actually everybody can easily imagine what is meant. You prove it
for your person below.

> > Consider the list of increasing lengths of finite prefixes of pi
>
> > 3
> > 31
> > 314
> > 3141

> > Everyone agrees that:
> > this list contains every digit of pi (1)

> Literally this just doesn't make sense.

Obviously he means that this list contains every digit of pi with the
correct index enumerating its position. In discussions like the
present one it is not usual to state everything explicitly that can be
understood by an experienced reader.

Perhaps you mean to say:

> this list contains every finite prefix of the infinite
> digit sequence for pi (1)?
>
> I would agree with that...
>
> (What you actually said is gibberish because the list is not a list of
> digits. If we try to treat it as such, then the only digit in the list is
> 3).

A list of people can contain and usually does contain letters.
Thiks list is not a set in orthodox set theory.

> [My suspicion at this point is that your gibberish wording is actually the
> *key* in some way to how you want to introduce some incorrect conclusion,
> but time will tell on that. If I'm right, you won't like my clarification,
> because it will make it harder for you to express your mistake...]

This suspicion is wrong.

Every initial segment of the decimal expansion of pi is in at least
one line of your list
3.
3.1
3.14
3.141
What we can find in the diagonal, namely 3.141 and so on, exactly that
can be found in one line. This is obvious by construction of the
list.

> Same again :) This is harder to guess what you're trying to say though...

So consider this:

Every part of the diagonal is in at least one line. That means, every
part is in one single line, or there are parts that are in different
lines but not in one and the same.

The latter proposition can be excluded. If there are more than one
lines that contain parts of pi, then it can be proved, be induction,
that two of them contain the same as one of them. This can be extended
to three lines and four lines and so on for every initial segment of n
lines.

Hence we prove that all of pi, that is contained in at least one of
the finite lines of this list, is contained in one single line.

Conclusion: Either the complete diagonal pi does not exist, or it
exists also in one and the same single line (because every line that
can contain a digit sequence, is a finite line). As the latter is
wrong, so is the former. There does not exist an actually infinite
sequence. Actually infinite mean finished infinite. That is nonsense.

(The proof has the same status as Cantor's diagonal proof. Also his
proof is valid only for all finite n. In a similar way we find above:
For all finite n: All of pi that is in the list up to line n, is in a
single line of the list.)

> There is no unique list of computable reals - however, people would agree
> that the computable reals are countable, and so can certainly be enumerated.
> Perhaps the actual list doesn't matter and we should just choose one?

Choose this one for example:

The proof of countability of S does not require a bijection of S with
N but only an injection of some superset of S into N.

This is established by my list

0
1
00
01

where every line may be enumerated by an element of the countable set
omega^omega^omega (and, if required, finitely many more exponents for
alphabets, languages, dictionaries, thesauruses, and further
properties)

An obvious enumeration of the lines is 1, 2, 3, ... where every line n
can have many sub-enumerations

n.1.a
n.11.a
n.111.a

where every section of 1's and a's contains enuogh symbols to
enumerate every single line as often as required to cover all its
meanings in all possible languages. If necessary we can add 2's and
b's and so on and remain in the countable domain.

> Also, now your talking about reals rather than digit sequences. These are
> distinct objects, but there are obvious correspondences.

In particular users of Cantor-lists do intermingle them. Digit
sequences do not converge at all. Therefore infinite digit sequences
cannot be used to express something meaningful.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie