Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 16 Jun., 19:45, MoeBlee <jazzm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But, every countable set does have a bijection with N or has a
> bijection with some member of w (the set of natural numbers).

That would be true if countability and aleph_0 were not self-
contradicting concepts.

But there is a set that is less than uncountable but has no bijection
with N or a definasble subset of N. This set is the set of all finite
definitions (in binary representation).

0
1
00
01

where every line may be enumerated by an element of the countable set
omega^omega^omega (and, if required, finitely many more exponents for
alphabets, languages, dictionaries, thesauruses, and further
properties)

An obvious enumeration of the lines is 1, 2, 3, ... where every line
can have many sub-enumerations

n.1.a
n.11.a
n.111.a

Every section of 1's and a's contains enough symbols to enumerate
every single line as often as required to cover all its meanings in
all possible languages. If necessary we can add 2's and b's and so on
and remain in the countable domain.

This set contains all possible finite words in all possible languages
over all possible alphabets over all possible whatever may be required
in addition.
This set is countable. Hence the set of all definable, computable, and
"whatever may be invented by clever set theorists" real numbers is
countable as a subset.

Cantor shows that a countable set is uncountable or that a constructed
real is unconstructable.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules