Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<a3e6534b-2b79-447d-aa6b-da536824e31c@x27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 16 Jun., 11:48, "|-|ercules" <radgray...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "WM" <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote ...
> >

> > > By induction we prove: There is no initial segment of the (ANTI)diagonal
> > > that is not as a line in the list.

> > Right, therefore the anti-diagonal does not contain any pattern of digits
> > that are not computable.
> >

> Sorry, you misquoted me. I wrote:
> By induction we prove: There is no initial segment of the diagonal
> that is not as a line in the list. And there is no part of the
> diagonal that is not in one single line of the list.
> But I have to excuse because I wrote somewhat unclear.
>
> The meaning is:
> 1) Every initial segment of the decimal expansion of pi is in at least
> one line of your list
> 3.
> 3.1
> 3.14
> 3.141
> What we can finde in the diagonal (not the anti-diagonal), namely
> 3.141 and so on, exactly that can be found in one line. This is
> obvious by construction of the list.
>
> 2) Every part of the diagonal is in at least one line. That means,
> every part is in one single line, or there are parts that are in
> different lines but not in one and the same.
>
> The latter proposition can be excluded.

How is the latter excluded?

Consider the sequence f(n) = trunc(pi*10^n)/10^n

While there are some successive lines which are equal
(where the decimal expansion of pi has 0 digits),
for every n there is an m, with n < m, such that f(n) < f(m) < pi.

> If there are more than one
> lines that contain parts of pi, then it can be proved, be induction,
> that two of them contain the same as one of them. This can be extended
> to three lines and four lines and so on for every n lines.

False for my example above.

> Hence we prove that all of pi, that is contained in at least one of
> the finite lines of your list, is contained in one single line.

False for my example above.

And equally false for f(n) = trunc(x*10^n)/10^n with any real x which
has a non-terminating decimal expansion.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb