Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<7a3e3a5a-2202-4cbb-9556-e3766ee5a745@k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 16 Jun., 17:55, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...@uta.fi> wrote:
> > WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > > It is very probable that every line has many different meaning, but no
> > > line has uncounatbly many meanings.

> > Every line has an indefinite and indeterminate number of possible
> > meanings. It makes no sense to speak of the cardinality of the totality
> > of all possible meanings of a string of symbols.

> It is fact that all possible meanings must be defined by finite
> definitions. Therefore the meanings are countable. Therefore it makes
> sense to call the set of all meanings countable.

In proper set theory, one must be able to determine of an object whether
or not it is a member of a set, but since those vague "meanings" of a
string of symbols are so indeterminate, one cannot determine whether a
"meaning" does belong to a "symbol" so WM's "sets" are not well enough
defined to be sets in any proper set theory.

> In mathematics we can calculate or estimate things even if not all can
> be named.

But set membership must be less ambiguous than WM's.

> > > Therefore the list contains only countably many finite definitions.

Except that it is not at all clear what has been listed.

> > The list contains just random, meaningless strings. Whenever we instill,
> > with mathematical precision, these strings with some definite meaning,
> > so that they become definitions of reals, we find there are definitions
> > not included in the list. There is an absolute notion of computability
> > in logic.

> If this notion yields numbers only that are in trichotomy with each
> other, then the notion is acceptable. If this notion yields numbers
> like you gave examples for (IIRC) like n = (1 if Obama gets a second
> term and 0 otherwise) or so, then this notion together with your logic
> should be put into the trash can.

Only for a while.

> > There is no absolute notion of definability.
>
> We need not an absolute notion if we know that all possible
> definitions of the notion of definability belong to a countable set.

We cannot possibly know that.

> It is enough to prove by estimation that set theory is wrong. Compare
> the famous irrationality proofs and transcendence proofs of number
> theory. We need not calculate its deviation from truth to the fifth
> digit. It is enough to see that ZFC is wrong unless there is a natural
> between 0 and 1.

But what everyone else sees is that ZFC is right unless there is a
natural between 0 and 1.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie