Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<c3c22786-a664-4fb8-bc90-66b29116484b@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 15 Jun., 21:11, "Mike Terry"
> <news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>

> > 1) What you write is sloppy (mathematically) and so it's not
> > clear what you intend to say with your individual statements.

> But actually everybody can easily imagine what is meant.

Quite often not.

> You prove it
> for your person below.
>

> > > Consider the list of increasing lengths of finite prefixes of pi
> >
> > > 3
> > > 31
> > > 314
> > > 3141

> > > Everyone agrees that:
> > > this list contains every digit of pi (1)

> > Literally this just doesn't make sense.

> Obviously he means that this list contains every digit of pi with the
> correct index enumerating its position. In discussions like the
> present one it is not usual to state everything explicitly that can be
> understood by an experienced reader.
>

> Perhaps you mean to say:

> > this list contains every finite prefix of the infinite
> > digit sequence for pi (1)?
> >
> > I would agree with that...
> >
> > (What you actually said is gibberish because the list is not a list of
> > digits. If we try to treat it as such, then the only digit in the list is
> > 3).

> A list of people can contain and usually does contain letters.

A list of people should contain only people.
A list of people's names can contain and usually does contain letters,
other than in, say, Chinese or Japanese.

> Thiks list is not a set in orthodox set theory.
>

> > [My suspicion at this point is that your gibberish wording is actually the
> > *key* in some way to how you want to introduce some incorrect conclusion,
> > but time will tell on that. If I'm right, you won't like my clarification,
> > because it will make it harder for you to express your mistake...]

> This suspicion is wrong.
>
> Every initial segment of the decimal expansion of pi is in at least
> one line of your list
> 3.
> 3.1
> 3.14
> 3.141

Actually, in all but finitely many of those lines.

> What we can find in the diagonal, namely 3.141 and so on, exactly that
> can be found in one line. This is obvious by construction of the
> list.

That is FALSE, since the "diagonal" is necessarily endless and each line
ends.

> So consider this:
>
> Every part of the diagonal is in at least one line.

Each finite initial part, but not any non-empty terminal part.

> That means
That means WM is wrong.
me.

> The latter proposition can be excluded. If there are more than one
> lines that contain parts of pi, then it can be proved, be induction,
> that two of them contain the same as one of them. This can be extended
> to three lines and four lines and so on for every initial segment of n
> lines.

Every FINITE initial segment, but each of those omits more than it
inlcudes.

> Hence we prove that all of pi, that is contained in at least one of
> the finite lines of this list, is contained in one single line.

Only if there is a last line, which there is not.

> Conclusion: Either the complete diagonal pi does not exist, or it
> exists also in one and the same single line (because every line that
> can contain a digit sequence, is a finite line).

Conclusion false, as it requires the existence of a last line, which
does not occur.

If one has a (finite) last line, one does not have pi.
And if one does not have a last line, WM's argument fails.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb