Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<9104cca9-5758-460c-adb1-cb7c5d418eaa@j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 16 Jun., 19:45, MoeBlee <jazzm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > But, every countable set does have a bijection with N or has a
> > bijection with some member of w (the set of natural numbers).

> That would be true if countability and aleph_0 were not self-
> contradicting concepts.
>
> But there is a set that is less than uncountable but has no bijection
> with N or a definasble subset of N. This set is the set of all finite
> definitions (in binary representation).
>

> 0
> 1
> 00
> 01

WM declares that he has a list which is not, and cannot be, a list?

> where every line may be enumerated by an element of the countable set
> omega^omega^omega (and, if required, finitely many more exponents for
> alphabets, languages, dictionaries, thesauruses, and further
> properties)
>

> An obvious enumeration of the lines is 1, 2, 3, ... where every line
> can have many sub-enumerations

> n.1.a
> n.11.a
> n.111.a

Unless there are more than countably many subenumerations or more than
countably many in one of them, the result is still countable.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb