Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
> On 16 Jun., 13:15, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

>> "WM" <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message

>> > You can't. The number is computable nonetheless, in the sense that
>> > there
>> > exists an effective procedure for churning out its decimal expansion.

>> > As noted, computability is a purely extensional notion. Recall the
>> > classical recursion theory exercise, which we find, in some form or
>> > other, in pretty much any text on the subject:

>> > Let f : N --> N be a function such that
>>
>> > f(x) = 0 if Goldbach's conjecture is true, and 1 otherwise.
>>
>> > Is f computable?
>>
>> All computable, Turing-computable, nonetheless computable, definable
>> (in any useful, i.e., finite language), and by other means
>> determinable numbers form a countable set.
>>
>> ________________________
>> All subsets of N are countable. Big deal.

> All subsets of N that can be specified somehow belong to a counatble
> set.

As I said, all subsets of N are countable. Also as I said, big deal.

> (In a countable model of ZF this must even be the case. Would it be
> impossible, then ZF could not be consistent.)

>> If Cantor's diagonal proof results in any such a number, then it
>> proves in effect the uncountability of a countable set.
>>
>> ____________________
>> What absolute crap. It proves no such thing. And in any event the
>> diagonal
>> number is easily computable. Just change all "7"s to "8" and everything
>> else
>> to "7". Its a few lines of code.

> No, try to think in a rational way. Every real number that can be
> identified by definition, computation, and whatever notions else may
> be invented by set theorists to shore up their broken walls, all these
> numbers belong to a countable set.

Yes.

> Therefore Cantor "proves" the uncountability of a countable set.

No. Cantor's proof is not about a "set" of Reals; it is about a "list" of
Reals.

You seem to not understand that something can be a set but cannot be
enumerated as a list, which is pretty much the whole point of Cantor's
proof.

>> ____________________
>> No, it proves there is a Real which is not on the list.

> What is the interpretation? The reals that can be constructed, are
> uncountable.

No. The interpretation is that you cannot form a list of all Reals, and any
list which purports to be so must miss at least one Real.

> Another proof shows: The reals that can be constructed, are countable.
> So there is a contradiction. What is the reason: The assumption of
> finished infinity.

No, the pretty obvious (and correct) conclusion is that you cannot form a
list of the constructable Reals.

Note, again, that you are implicitly treating a list of Reals as the same
thing as a set of Reals; Cantor's proof is about Lists, not Sets.

> There are no infinite sequences of digits other than established by
> finite formulas as a_n = 1/n or pi or sqrt(2).
> Cantor's list with infinitely many infinitely long lines containing
> arbitrary sequences of digits does not exist (other than by finite
> formulas - but they are countable). In fact nobody has ever seen that
> chimera. A typical case of mass hysteria. How could mathematicians be
> taken in by that rubbish?

Well, mathematicians don't confuse lists of Reals with sets of Reals.

> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie