Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-16, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> All computable, Turing-computable, nonetheless computable, definable
> (in any useful, i.e., finite language), and by other means
> determinable numbers form a countable set.
>
> ________________________
> All subsets of N are countable. Big deal.
>
> If Cantor's diagonal proof results in any such a number, then it
> proves in effect the uncountability of a countable set.
>
> ____________________
> What absolute crap. It proves no such thing. And in any event the diagonal
> number is easily computable. Just change all "7"s to "8" and everything else
> to "7". Its a few lines of code.
>
> Otherwise it proves nothing, because an infinite sequence of digits
> without other information does not determine anything.
>
> ____________________
> No, it proves there is a Real which is not on the list.

There is very little in the quoted material to indicate who is saying
what. I'm guessing that the sections separated by
"____________________" marks are from different posters, but that's
about all I can tell. It isn't even clear which sections are newly
written by Peter, and which are quotes from earlier conversation (by
Peter or someone else).

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules