Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-17, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I hate to disagree with you, because we are on much the same "side", but
> this is not correct. Cantor's proof shows that you cannot form a list of all
> Reals. This is not the same as the Reals being uncountable.

An infinite list of reals is just a function from N to R. Cantor's
proof shows that no such function is surjective (and so in particular,
not bijective). That is *exactly* the same as the Reals being
uncountable.

> You can use Cantor's diagonal construction to similarly prove that you
> cannot form a list of all computable numbers.

No, you can use something like Cantor's diagonal construction to
similarly prove that you cannot form a *computable* list of all
computable numbers. The qualifier is necessary to the proof.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie