Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 17 Jun., 04:37, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> "WM" <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message

> > On 16 Jun., 13:15, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
> > wrote:

> >> "WM" <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message

> >> All computable, Turing-computable, nonetheless computable, definable
> >> (in any useful, i.e., finite language), and by other means
> >> determinable numbers form a countable set.

> >> ________________________
> >> All subsets of N are countable. Big deal.

> > All subsets of N that can be specified somehow belong to a countable
> > set.

> As I said, all subsets of N are countable. Also as I said, big deal.

No. You misunderstood. Please read carefully. The set of all subsets
of N that can be specified somehow is countable.

> > No, try to think in a rational way. Every real number that can be
> > identified by definition, computation, and whatever notions else may
> > be invented by set theorists to shore up their broken walls, all these
> > numbers belong to a countable set.

> Yes.

And so do all subsets of N that can be specified.

> > Therefore Cantor "proves" the uncountability of a countable set.
>
> No. Cantor's proof is not about a "set" of Reals; it is about a "list" of
> Reals.

But from this list he concludes that the set of reals that can appear
as a diagonal, hence can be specified somehow, is uncountable. This
conclusion is wrong

> You seem to not understand that something can be a set but cannot be
> enumerated as a list, which is pretty much the whole point of Cantor's
> proof.

I understand that aleph_0 is considered to be a number. Then we can
conclude that even sets that cannot be enumerated, can have cardinal
number aleph_0. Because they are a subset of a set that can be
enumerated.

> >> ____________________
> >> No, it proves there is a Real which is not on the list.

> > What is the interpretation? The reals that can be constructed, are
> > uncountable.

> No. The interpretation is that you cannot form a list of all Reals, and any
> list which purports to be so must miss at least one Real.

The following list contains all reals (i.e. their finite names) that
can be specified.
This contradicts your claim.

1.1.a 0
2.1.a 1
3.1.a 00

Every line can be expanded to a (countable) infinity of an infinity of
lines to cover every word in every language and every alphabet. There
is no name missing. The list is counatble.

> > Another proof shows: The reals that can be constructed, are countable.
> > So there is a contradiction. What is the reason: The assumption of
> > finished infinity.

> No, the pretty obvious (and correct) conclusion is that you cannot form a
> list of the constructable Reals.
>
> Note, again, that you are implicitly treating a list of Reals as the same
> thing as a set of Reals; Cantor's proof is about Lists, not Sets.

Cantor concludes about sets. That is wrong.
Further there is a list given above that contains all constructable
reals - though some more names. But it would be wrong to assume that a
subset has larger cardinal number than its superset.

> > There are no infinite sequences of digits other than established by
> > finite formulas as a_n = 1/n or pi or sqrt(2).
> > Cantor's list with infinitely many infinitely long lines containing
> > arbitrary sequences of digits does not exist (other than by finite
> > formulas - but they are countable). In fact nobody has ever seen that
> > chimera. A typical case of mass hysteria. How could mathematicians be
> > taken in by that rubbish?

> Well, mathematicians don't confuse lists of Reals with sets of Reals.

Why then do they claim that the set of reals is uncountable and
conclude that 2^aleph_0 is larger than aleph_0?
In fact, that is the error.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules