Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

lwalke3@lausd.net

Re: Musatov responds to WM on Cantor: intelligence,
l.

On Jun 17, 2:37 am, Simplane Simple Plane Simulate Plain Simple
<marty.musa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> COMMENTARY
>         To contrast my conception to my perception of Cantor?s conception of
> the infinite. Cantor?s idea seems to me to assume because two sets
> converge to infinity the nature of infinity and the number of elements
> in each set must become equal.
>          Requiring one to one ?mapping? anything other than a one to one
> correspondence is excluded.
>         My conception is more as infinite quantities are not mathematically
> expressible, in the sense we can only conceive of infinity as
> something consisting forever. You start with something finite and then
> multiply or divide it forever. In this way two infinite sets are not
> equal but, as shown in they can be ratio-ed by the finite expression
> defines the set, but both extend infinitely.
>         Cantor?s reversal of conceptions,  for some sets (non-d enumerable)
> uses conception #2. This is a contradiction to conception #1, and it
> would seem to me it can?t be both ways.

Musatov might be interested in knowing about Tony Orlow,
who is working on a set size that is very similar to
Conception #1 above.

In particular, Musatov describes how he uses ratios to
determine that the size of {2,4,6,8,...} is exactly half
that of {1,2,3,4,...}, since the elements of the sets
are in the ratio 2:1. TO uses a similar argument to
conclude that if {1,2,3,4,...} has the set size (or
"Bigulosity") tav, then {2,4,6,8,...} would have a
Bigulosity of tav/2.

TO uses the name "Post-Cantorian" to describe those who
use what Musatov calls "Conception #1," as opposed to the
"Cantorian" Conception #2. Thus, Musatov and TO are
natural allies wrt set size.

On the other hand, Herc and WM are "Anti-Cantorian" in
that they don't believe in different sizes of infinity. So
I'm glad that Herc and WM are in this thread together. So
these two reject both Conceptions #1 and #2.

If Musatov would like to learn more about TO's set size,
he can click on the current TO thread (warning -- this
thread now exceeds 500 posts).

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie