Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Virgil" <Virgil@home.esc> wrote in message
> In article <4c1ae6b7$0$18229$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>> > Since by definition, "listability" = "countability", Cantor's proof of
>> > unlistability proves uncountability.

>> Really? Where did you get that from?
>>
>> The computable Reals cannot be listed.
>>
>> Therefore according to you they are uncountable.
>>
>> But they aren't.
>>
>> Maybe your definition needs a little work?

> Consider the set of computable numbers, S.
>
> According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countable_set,
> one definition of such a set, S, being countable is that there is a
> injective function from S to N, which is equivalent to there being a
> surjective function from N to S.
>
> Since you object to there being any bijection from N to any superset of
> S, you must equally be rejecting any surjection from N to S and
> rejecting any injection from S to N, since from any such bijection such
> a surjection is easily derived.
>
> So in what sense do you claim that the the set S of computable numbers
> is countable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_number

"Although the set of real numbers is uncountable, the set of computable
numbers is countable".

Easily proved. All computable numbers can be generated by a finite TM (by
definition), and there are only countable finite TMs (as these can easily be
enumerated).

> It is certainly not in any sense that I am aware of.

That a set of Real numbers cannot be listed is *not* the same thing as the
set is uncountable. Cantor's proof does *not* demonstrate that Reals are
uncountable, it just proves there can be no explicit enumeration of them.
This is easily seen by comparison with a diagonal proof that all computable
Reals cannot be listed - this doesn't immediately mean they are uncountable,
as they aren't.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie