Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Cantor's proof does *not* demonstrate that Reals are uncountable, it
>> just proves there can be no explicit enumeration of them.

> It proves that there is no enumeration of them, explicit or not. I
> have no idea where you are getting this strange notion of
> "explicitness".

Because Cantor's proof requires an explicit listing. This is a very central
concept.

I can form a list of sorts of all computable Reals. I can associate every
Real with the TM that produces it, and list TMs in order. The trouble is
that this is not an explicit list, as you cannot say exactly what number
appears at each position in the list. This means Cantor's proof cannot be
used, which assumes you explicitly know what number appears at every
position in the list.

HTH

> - Tim

Date Subject Author