Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Give me a list of all computable Reals.

I specified such a list previously in this thread. It is not a
computable list, but you didn't ask for a computable list - just a
list of computable reals. They are not the same thing.

> I will use Cantor's diagonal argument to explicitly construct a Real
> which isn't on the list. This is diagonal number clearly computable

In this case it clearly is not computable.

> as there is an explicit construction for it.

No, there is only a finite algorithm *relative to* being provided with
the list initially. There is no algorithm to produce the antidiagonal
starting without input, which being computable would require.

Come back when you read what the term "computable number" means.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie