Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> I made no premise.
>
> Sure you did: you assumed that no list of computable numbers can
> exist. You also assumed an incorrect definition of "computable".

No, I assumed that a list of all computable numbers can exist. Then I gave a
simple algorithm which forms a computable number which is not on the list. I
therefore proved that no list of all computable numbers can exist.

It is *exactly* the same as Cantor's proof that the Reals cannot be listed.

It is of interest because it is known that the computable numbers are
countable. Therefore the property "cannot be listed" is *not* the same as
the property "is uncountable".

Cantor's diagonal proof does *not* show the Reals are uncountable; it just
proves the much weaker statement that "the Reals cannot be listed".

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie