Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 18 Jun., 14:17, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Newberry <newberr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jun 15, 9:46 am, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> > wrote:

> >> WM says...

> >> I'm not sure what you are saying. The fact is, we can prove
> >> that for every real r_n on the list, d is not equal to r_n.
> >> That means that d is not on the list.

> > How do you know that it does not prove that an anti-diagonal does
> > exist i.e. that an antidiagonal is a contradiction in terms?

> Because every infinite sequence of digits represents a real number?  And
> the antidiagonal is one such sequence?

No. An infinite sequence of digits does not represent a number. In
general it does not even converge. In order to have convergence, you
need the powers of 10 or 2 or so. But without a finite definition
there are no infinite sequences at all, neither with nor without
powers.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules