Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<57ebf4f0-686a-435e-aaea-c7696d718bc2@k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Pi is constructable and computable and definable, because there is a
> finite rule (in fact there are many) to find each digit desired. But
> as there are only countably many finite rules, there cannot be more
> defined numbers.

If there are countably many rules then there are uncountably many lists
of rules capable of generating a number.

> Therefore matheologicians have created undefinable
> "numbers".

WM mistakes the issue.

In pure mathematics, like in games, one has a set of rules to follow.
Differing sets of rules generate differing systems only some of which
are of much mathematical interest.

The systems of rules we chose to use need not be subject to the
constraints that the system of rules that WM choses to play by are
subject to.

For example, in FOL+ZFC, a commonly used system of rules which WM doe
not care for, all sorts of things are legitimate that none of WM's
systems of rules will allow.

WM tries to force everyone to play only by his rules, but most of us
find his system of rules dead boring and of little or no mathematical
interest.

Fortunately, outside of those classrooms in which his poor students are
compelled to play by his rules, he has no power to impose those rules on
anyone.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie