Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<546be0b1-b176-428c-b7c3-c6794588f082@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 18 Jun., 05:22, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

> > > Since by definition, "listability" = "countability", Cantor's proof of
> > > unlistability proves uncountability.

> > Really? Where did you get that from?

> From Cantor.

> > The computable Reals cannot be listed.
> >
> > Therefore according to you they are uncountable.

If one defines countability of a set standardly, it requires existence
of a surjection from the set of naturals to the set in question.

So proof that there can be no such surjection is clearly sufficient to
show that a set is not countable.

> No. There is no uncountability. That needs to be understood.

There is certainly such a definition, but in order to eliminate
uncountability, WM would first have to eliminate infiniteness, which he
also fails to do.

> Uncomputable numbers are not numbers, because nobody knows what they
> are.

There are certainly what are called noncomputable numbers according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_number

A real number, a, is said to be computable if it can be approximated by
some computable function in the following manner: given any (positive)
integer n, the function produces an integer k such that:
(k-1)/n <= a <= (k+1)/n

Otherwise it is noncomputable.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules