Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

K_h

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in
message

> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

>> On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb
>> <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Of course its computable. It is a trivial programming
>>> exercise to form a
>>> computable number not on the list, by simply doing digit
>>> substitutions.

>> Only if the list itself is a computable function.
>> Cantor's proof does
>> not depend on any such assumption.
>>

> If you give me a purported list of all computable numbers,
> I can explicitly

QUESTION 1:
But ask yourself: is the list of all computable real numbers
itself computable? Each real in such a list is computable
but can you find a computable function that says which
computable real is mapped to 0, which computable real is
mapped to 1, which computable real is mapped to 2, and so
on?

> construct a Real not on the list. Of course this number is
> computable; there is a simple algorithm to compute it.

But ask yourself: since the algorithm you use to compute it
calls on the "algorithm" I asked you about in QUESTION 1, is
your algorithm depending on another "algorithm" that is
non-computable?

>>> Cantor's proof provides an explicit and simple algorithm
>>> to form
>>> such a number, and it is extremely easy to compute.

>> If there exists no algorithm for computing the original
>> list, how do
>> you propose to use Cantor's proof to make an algorithm
>> for the
>> antidiagonal of that list?

> Cantor's proof just requires a list of numbers.
> If you give me a purported list of all computable numbers,
> I can produce a computable number not on the list.

But ask yourself QUESTION 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_number

>>> Cantor's proof applied to computable numbers proves it
>>> immediately and
>>> simply.

>> First you have to define the notion of "computable list",
>> and set up
>> the theorems proving properties about how computable
>> lists and
>> computable numbers relate.
>>

> No I don't, any more than Cantor had to that for all
> Reals.
>
> You cannot produce a list of all computable Reals. Just as
> you can't produce a list of all Reals.

But ask yourself: since there is no computable way to
generate a list of all computable reals does that mean that
there is no non-computable ways of getting such a list?

> This does not however prove that either is an uncountable
> set; in fact the set of all computable numbers is
> countable.

>>> Well, they are relevant if you try and make the mental
>>> jump from
>>> "cannot be listed" to "are therefore uncountable". This
>>> simply does
>>> not follow.

>> It follows immediately from the definitions. You appear
>> to have some
>> bizarre definition of "list" that Cantor never used,
>> employing
>> concepts not developed until many decades later.
>>

> No. And in fact Cantor's diagonal proof does not prove the
> Reals are uncountable, just that they cannot be listed.
> Which is all he claimed.

No, because Cantor's diagonal argument applies to lists that
are not computable as well as to lists that are computable.

> In fact the computable Reals can't be listed either, using
> exactly the same diagonal proof, but they are countable.

No, computable reals can be listed but there is no
computable algorithm that can generate such a list. But if
you were given such a list then you could create an
anti-diagonal number not on the list. That anti-diagonal,
though, is non-computable since it is generated from a
non-computable list. <-- But note, what I just wrote there
applies to the algorithm in QUESTION 1, not the algorithm
you use to generate the anti-diagonal. That is, the
anti-diagonal algorithm, in the sense of which digits are
changed on the diagonal (e.g. 9-->0, 1-->2, etc), is
obviously computable. Please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_number

>>> The computable Reals cannot be listed either, but they
>>> are
>>> definitely countable.

>> The computable reals can be listed and are countable.
>>

>>> A Cantor construction applied to a purported list of all
>>> computable
>>> Reals will identify a computable Real not on the list.

>> No, it will not.
>>

> Yes, it will.
>
> Give me any list of computable numbers and I will produce
> a computable number not on the list. All I have to do is
> constrruct the diagonal number; this is clearly computable
> (as the diagonal construction "computes" it), and its not
> on the list.
>
> Go on, try it. If you think you have an explicit list of
> all computable Reals, produce it for me. "Computing" the
> anti-diagonal is easy.

Yes it is, but there is no finite way of getting such a list
(although each real in the list is generated by a finite
algorithm).

>>> The diagonal is explicitly constructible given the list.
>>
>> The definition of computable number does not include any
>> presupposition of being supplied with infinite lists of
>> infinite digit
>> sequences. To be computable, a number must be
>> constructible by a
>> finite algorithm *without* being given the list. Don't
>> take my word
>> for it, look up the definition yourself.
>>

> We are assuming every number on the list is computable;
> that is the premise.
>
> You give me that list.

Yes, every real in the list is computable. But ask
yourself: is the function that maps each natural to each of
these reals itself computable?

_

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules