Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

K_h

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in
message

> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

>> On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb
>> <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Because Cantor's proof requires an explicit listing.
>>> This is a very
>>> central concept.

>> Cantor's proof works on any list, explicit or not.
>>

> Really?
>
> How do you apply Cantor's proof to a list constructed as
> follows:
>
> "Define a list L such that the n'th entry on the list
> consists of all 1's if the n'th digit of Omega is 1,
> otherwise it is
> all 0's."
>
> (Your example).
>

>> The rest of your misconception snipped.
>>

>> - Tim

> Perhaps if you could point out to me why you believe
> Cantor's proof that not all Reals can be listed (as it
> appears you do) but you don't believe my proof that not
> all computable Reals can be listed. They appear identical
> to me.

All computable reals can be listed, but there is no finite
algorithm for doing so. An "infinite algorithm" could list
every computable real. An anti-diagonal, then, could be
generated from this list but the algorithm creating the
anti-diagonal is implicitly relying on the "infinite
algorithm" underlying the list. In that sense the
anti-diagonal is not computable. The set of all reals are a
different story. Even with an "infinite algorithm"
generating a list of reals, there is no way such a list
could contain every real. For a proof, do a google search
on Cantor's theorem.

_

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules