Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> That, BTW, is my own interpretation of what is happening.
>
> It is an incorrect interpretation.
>

>> Whether you accept this or not, the simple fact is that Cantor's
>> proof can be applied to any purported list of all computable Reals
>> and used to generate a computable Real not on the list

> Your "simple fact" is simply wrong. Look up the definition of
> "computable real" and get back to us.

Why?

If you believe there is an error in what I have said, identify it.

Or give me at least a hint. As a start, my argument rests on two
observations:

1. Cantor's diagonal construction, when applied to a purported list of all
computable Reals, will produce a computable Real not on the list. Therefore
you cannot provide a list of all computable numbers.

2. The computable numbers are countable.

Which one of these do you believe to be wrong?

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie