Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-18, Virgil <Virgil@home.esc> wrote:
>> Given the axiom of choice, as in ZFC, any countable set must be, at
>> least theoretically, listable, though such a listing need not be
>> computable.

> The definition of countability is the existence of a bijection with a
> subset of N. Since N can be well-ordered even in ZF, the theorem
> (countable -> listable) is easily proven without AC.
>

> - Tim

Well gee, so you say.

I agree that computable reals are countable. But I do not agree this means
they can be listed. In fact, I can easily prove they are not. If you give me
a purported list of all computable Reals I can use a diagonal argument to
form a computable Real not on the list.

Clearly there are countable sets that cannot be listed.

Cantor proved that the Reals cannot be listed. His diagonal proof does *not*
show they are uncountable, any more than doing exactly the same proof with
computable Reals "proves" they are uncountable.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb