Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Sylvia Else

On 19/06/2010 1:40 PM, |-|ercules wrote:
> "Sylvia Else" <sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote ...
>> On 19/06/2010 12:45 PM, |-|ercules wrote:
>>> "Sylvia Else" <sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote

>>> How would one dispute axiomatic deductions if that were the case?

>> What do you mean by "axiomatic deduction"?

>>> Are you saying all mathematical facts are either axioms or the result of
>>> (X & X->Y) -> Y
>>> ?

>> Mathematics consists of axioms and statements (theorems) that can be
>> proved from those axioms. The axioms cannot themselves be proved, nor
>> disproved, though they may be shown to be inconsistent with one another.
>>
>> Sometimes the axioms seem so self-evidently true that people aren't
>> even aware that they're there. But they are, if you look.
>>
>> Sylvia.

> blah blah blah...
>
> you skipped my question, but don't bother I wasn't arguing anything
> just seeing if you knew what you were talking about.

Your question was typically vague. They you dived into some notation
which might be construed to mean "if X and X implies Y, then Y", which
is itself unproveable, and needs to be introduced as an axiom.

None of which eliminates your need to specify the axioms in which you're
making claims about Cantor's proof.

Sylvia.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules