Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> The relevant point: the *only* input to the Turing machine in the
>>> definition is n. The rest of the tape must is blank. Peter
>>> apparently believes that a number is still computable even if the
>>> Turing machine must be supplied with an infinite amount of input (the
>>> list of reals).

>> No.

> Oh? Then what leads you to believe that the antidiagonal of a (not
> necessarily recursive) list of computable reals is computable?

Cantor provides an explicit construction for the 1st digit, the second
digit, the third digit, etc.

If you give me a list of Computable Reals, its trivially easy to explicitly
construct the anti-diagonal to any degree of accuracy.

>> Do you agree that Cantor's diagonal proof when applied to a
>> purported list of all computable Reals will produce a computable
>> Real not on the list

> No, for the fifth time now. The antidiagonal of a list of all
> computable real is not computable. How many more times would you like
> me to repeat this simple and mathematically obvious statement?

Basically, zero more times, because its crap.

If you don't believe that I can explicitly construct a Real not on any list
of computable Reals you give me, try giving me a list of computable Reals
and I will produce a missing computable Real to any required degree of
accuracy.

The only restriction I place is the restriction that Cantor also placed -
that I can go through the list, and identify the nth digit of the nth item
for all n.

After all, I am trying to make my proof exactly the same as Cantor's, but
with the only difference being the word "computable" in front of the word
"Real".

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules