Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Daryl McCullough

Peter Webb says...

>"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

>> The relevant point: the *only* input to the Turing machine in the
>> definition is n. The rest of the tape must is blank. Peter
>> apparently believes that a number is still computable even if the
>> Turing machine must be supplied with an infinite amount of input (the
>> list of reals).
>>

>No.

You said that you believed that if L is any list of computable
reals, then antidiag(L) is computable. That's not true. It's only
true if L is computable.

Imagine that you have a Turing machine with two tapes:
The first tape holds a list L of computable reals.
The second tape holds a natural number, n.

Then you can certainly program the Turing machine so that
the output is the nth decimal place of the anti-diagonal of L.
That doesn't mean that the antidiagonal is a computable real.

For it to be a computable real, there has to be a Turing
machine with only *one* input Tape, which contains a natural
number, n. The Turing machine would have to output the nth
decimal place of the antidiagonal *without* access to the
original list L. In general, that's impossible.

So there is a two-tape Turing machine that can compute the
antidiagonal, but there is no one-tape Turing machine. So
the antidiagonal is not computable, in general.

>You seem to agree that the computable Reals are countable.

Yes.

>Do you agree that Cantor's diagonal proof when applied to a
>purported list of all computable Reals will produce a computable Real
>not on the list,

No. It produces a *real* not on the list, not necessarily
a computable real.

Imagine a Turing machine tape T that contains a list of computable
reals. There are various ways that a tape could contain a list
of computable reals, but one way is this: The list contains a
list of integers, each integer is a code for a Turing machine
program for computing a real.

Now, given the tape T above, you can write a Turing machine that
computes the antidiagonal of T. But that *doesn't* mean that
the antidiagonal is a computable real. For it to be computable,
there has to be a Turing machine program that computes it
*without* any auxiliary tapes such as T.

Now, if T itself were computable, then the Turing machine could
compute T, and then use T to compute the antidiagonal. But if
T is not computable, then you can't compute the antidiagonal.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

Date Subject Author