Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Sylvia Else

On 19/06/2010 7:07 PM, |-|ercules wrote:
> "Sylvia Else" <sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote ...
>> On 19/06/2010 4:11 PM, |-|ercules wrote:
>>

>>> To support your argument you should at least show that you've formed a
>>> new sequence of digits.

>> I'll explain it simply then. The first digit of the created number
>> differs from the first digit of the first number in the list. The
>> second digit differs from the second digit of the second number in the
>> list.
>>
>> In general, digit n differs from digit n of the nth number in the list.
>>
>> So for all n, the created number differs from number n. Therefore the
>> created number is not in the list - it is a new sequence of digits.

> No I've told you all 20 times that does not create any new sequence at all.
>
> All you've done is
> CONSTRUCT a digit sequence like so
> An AD(n) =/= L(n,n)
>
> And then you say, it's different to each number like so
>
> PROOF
> An AD(n) =/= L(n,n)
>
> But you have not demonstrated a NEW SEQUENCE OF DIGITS.

How can it not be a new sequence of digits if it's not in the list?

> All you've done is this
>
> [ An AD(n) =/= L(n,n) -> An AD(n) =/= L(n,n) ] -> Superinfinity
>
> Your actual 'proof' is a specific example of the above 'proof'!
>
> [ An AD(n) = (L(n,n) + 1) mod 9 -> An AD(n) =/= L(n,n) ] -> Superinfinity
>
> Do you agree with the above version of Cantor's proof?

That is not a statement of Cantor's proof. For a start, it leaves out
the assumption that the list of numbers is a list of all the reals.

>>> If you actually read my derivation of herc_cant_3 instead of blindly
>>> dismissing it,
>>> you'll see it holds, just like all digits of PI appear in order below
>>> this line, if interpreted
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> Herc
>>>
>>> ___________________
>>>
>>> 3
>>> 31
>>> 314
>>> 3141
>>>

>> herc-cant-3 is not a derivation. It's a wild leap of faith. Nothing is
>> proved therein.
>>
>> Sylvia.

> Then which step do you disagree with?
>

> defn(herc_cant_3)
> The list of computable reals contains every digit (in order) of all
> possible infinite sequences.
>
> Derivation
>
> Given the increasing finite prefixes of pi
>
> 3
> 31
> 314
> ..
>
> This list contains every digit (in order) of the infinite expansion of pi.
>
> Given the increasing finite prefixes of e
>
> 2
> 27
> 271
> ..
>
> This list contains every digit (in order) of the infinite expansion of e.

This one:

> Given the increasing finite prefixes of ALL infinite expansions,
> that list contains every digit (in order) of every infinite expansion.

You provide no justification for that statement. It doesn't follow from
what came previously. You just assert it.

Sylvia.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie