Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 19 Jun., 16:00, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> ZFC makes claims in the context of ZFC. You can't take it down using a
> different set of axioms, because ZFC doesn't make statements under those
> other axioms. If you want to attack ZFC, as distinct from inventing
> competing sets of axioms, your only viable course is to seek to show
> that it is inconsistent.

There are things more elementary than ZFC. Induction for instance: If
a list is constructed as follows:

0.0
0.1
0.11
0.111

then the anti-diagonal p = 0.111... does not exist or it is in one and
the same line of the list.

Proof: All digits of p are in the list within their appropriate
columns. Otherwise they could not constitute p.

So either all digits are within one line (containg p) or not. If not,
then there must be at least two lines (or more) containing digits of p
but not all ofd them.

Now we prove by induction: If n lines contain digits of p then one of
these lines contain all digits that are contained by those n lines.
Therefore n lines can be substituted by one line. This can be proven
for all finite n. But there are no other than finite line nunbers.
Hence the proof is complete.

The usual "refutation" of this argument is: There cannot be shown two
lines with different digits of p because an infinity of lines is
required. But it is obviously not sensible to claim an infinitude of
lines while not even being able to show two lines which are required.
No, for a set in linear order it is not possible to get the digits of
p distributed over more than one line. So, if all are there, then all
are within one line. This proves that "not all are there". Finished
infinity is nonsense. Therefore aleph_0 und uncountability should be
recognized as what they are: pure selfcontradictions. In particular
because it is clear that set theory has not any single application in
science including mathematics. (if it had, one could easily see it
fail. But it cannot fail because it does yield any concrete result
apart from the "hierarchy of infinities" that has the same relevance
as Russell's tea pot).

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules