Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<10c118d2-4751-4fd9-ade8-30c2f26afe7f@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 19 Jun., 11:07, "|-|ercules" <radgray...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > The list of computable reals contains every digit (in order) of all
> > possible infinite sequences.

> Hi Herc,
>
> why not instead of a list of all reals produce a Binary Tree. This
> tree can be shown to produce every infinite binary sequence that can
> be produced by the following step-by-step construction. This
> construction is possible, because the set of all nodes is a countable
> set and all paths exist among the nodes and nowhere else. The
> construction is as follows:
>
> The Binary Tree contains all real numbers of the interval [0, 1] as
> infinite paths.
>
> 0,
> / \
> 0 1
> / \ / \
> 0 1 0 1
> /
> 0 ...
>
> The nodes K_i with numerical values 0 or 1 are countable:
>
> K_0
> / \
> K_1 K_2
> / \ / \
> K_3 K_4 K_5 K_6
> /
> K_7 ...
>
> Everey step adds one node to the configuration B_i and yields
> configuration B_(i+1)
>
> _________________
> B_0 =
>
> K_0
> _________________
> B_1 =
>
> K_0
> /
> K_1
> _________________
> B_2 =
>
> K_0
> / \
> K_1 K_2
> _________________
> B_3 =
>
> K_0
> / \
> K_1 K_2
> /
> K_3
> _________________
>
> B_4 =
>
> K_0
> / \
> K_1 K_2
> / \
> K_3 K_4
> _________________
> _________________
> B_j =
>
> K_0
> / \
> K_1 K_2
> / \
> K_3 K_4 ...
> ... K_j
> _________________
> _________________
>
> There is no end, hence there is no node that is not constructed. If
> there is no infinite path constructed at all, this means either that
> [...]

Note than in FOL+ZFC, the set N necessarily exists, and, with suitable
definition of left-child and right-child is already a complete infinite
binary tree with suitable subsets denoting paths.

E.g., for n = {0,1,2,3,...}
let the left child of n be 2*n+1
and the right child of n be 2*n+2
Then one has immediately a complete infinite binary tree with infinite
paths. E.g., the path having only left branchings is {2^n-1: n in N}

So that what WM claims abut binary trees does not hold in FOL+ZFC, nor
in any system in which a set like N exists.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb