Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

> > On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >> So Cantor's proof when applied to computable Reals proves exactly
> >> what in your opinion?

> > That there is a real not on the list.
> >

> >> I might remind you that as the form of proof is identical to that
> >> used by Cantor for all Reals, whatever you believe that Cantor's
> >> proof applied to computable Reals proves, his proof applied to all
> >> Reals must prove the same thing.

> > It does prove exactly the same thing: in both cases, all such lists
> > omit at least one real.
> >

> >> Its the same proof, after all, except limitting the set to just
> >> computable Reals.

> > No, there is a slight difference: the antidiagonal is a real number.
> > It does not necessarily produce a computable real number.
> >

> Of course it is computable. Cantor provides a simple construction for the
> number.

No, you're misunderstanding the meaning of computable.

Hopefully you will be OK with the following definition:

A real number r is computable if there is a TM (Turing machine)
T which given n as input, will produce as output
the n'th digit of r.

So let us suppose there is a list L (not a "computable list", just a "list")
of computable numbers in [0,1], covering all computerable numbers.

[You have your own strange definition of "list", but I am using the term
with it's standard mathematical meaning: L is just a function mapping N
(natural numbers) to CR (computable reals). Perhaps we should also insist
that lists are injections (no duplicates) - that's fine. YOU seem to want
to define "list" to only include "computable" functions from N to CR, but
that is NOT what everybody else (including Cantor) means by "list"!]

L : N --> CR

so we have the sequence (=list) of computable reals:

( L(0),
L(1),
L(2),
....)

Each computable real has it's digital representation, so this list can be
written: (using d(m,n) for n'th digit of L(m)

L(0) digits : d(0,0), d(0,1), d(0,2), ...
L(1) digits : d(1,0), d(1,1), d(1,2), ...
L(2) digits : d(2,0), d(2,1), d(2,2), ...

Now, given m and n, is there necessarily a TM that can take m and n as
inputs, and ouput d(m,n)?

Well, each L(m) individually is computable: there is a corresponding TM,
TM_m such that given n as input it will compute d(m,n). We could say:

TM_m (n) = d(m,n)

But all the TMs can be different and completely unrelated to each other.

Can we say there will always be a *single* TM TM_ALL_m, which "subsumes" all
the TM_n, i.e. if given m and n as input, will compute d(m,n)? I.e.

for all m,n: TM_ALL_m (m,n) = d(m,n) ?????

Unfortunately for your argument, the answer is NO.

But that is exactly what you would need to argue that the anti-diagonal is
computable: You need a TM that could calculate d(m,m), but this needs the
TM TM_ALL_m, and we do not have that!

I know what you want to say at this point! :) You want to say that I have
"explicitly given you" d(m,n), and I can only do this if d(m,n) is
computable. (Right?) And you want to tell me that Cantor's diagonal proof
is the same?

Well, this is a misreading of Cantor's proof! Look closely:

Paraphrasing of Cantor's proof:

Given a function L: N --> [0,1], there
exists r in [0,1], such that
for all n, r != L(n) [i.e. r is not in the list]

Proof:
1) Suppose L: N-->R
2) Define LD: (NxN)-->{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
such that LD(m,n) = n'th digit of L(m)
3) Define RD: N-->R
such that RD(m) = [...antidiagonal digit m...]
4) Then RD determines a real r in [0,1]
5) Show for all n, r != L(n) from defn. of r above.

Where in this proof does Cantor require LD(m,n) to be computable? (Answer =
nowhere.)

I think maybe you are thinking it must be computable, due to your misleading
use of the phrase "explicitly given", but actually all Cantor does is argue
that IF a (any) function L (not necessarily computable) EXISTS mapping N to
[0,1], the mere existence of L implies the existence of a corresponding real
r not in the list L. There is nothing requiring real computer programs to
actually compute anything here! It's just a mathematical proof of existence
of something.

Hmmm, I can see this is where you will be objecting, but I can't see how to
be more clear.

OK - it's like the following (admittedly pretty dumb but correct) proof that
I've just made up that there is no upper bound n_max in N which bounds all
functions from N to N:

Dumb but correct Proof:
1) Suppose there is such an n_max.
i.e. for all f,n: f(n) < n_max
2) Then there is a *least* n with the same property
as n_max: call this n_max_min.
3) There must be some F and m with
F(m) = n_max_min - 1
[...details omitted, but otherwise n_max_min - 1
would contradict the mininum property for n_max_min]
4) But consider G(n) = F(n)+1
5) G is a function mapping N:-->N and
G(m) = F(m)+1 = n_max_min
6) This contradicts (2)
7) Hence assumption (1) is false

There is no assumption in my proof that any of the functions be
"computable". Hopefully you would accept my proof, because it is similar to
1000 other proofs along the same lines.

BUT... your Cantor objection is equivalent to saying that my proof only
works for "computable" functions. Why? Because I have to "explicitly give
you" the function F in (3), so that step (4) makes sense! How can I "add 1"
to a function that is not computable? Well, obviously I *can*. Step (4) is
not to be thought of as a step for someone to write in a computer program -
it's a mathematical definition of G(m) in terms of other things known to
exist at that point in the proof. Sure, if F were computable, then G would
be, but nothing in the proof requires F to be!

So too, it is with Cantor's proof. The "lists" involved are assumed to be
nothing more than maps from N to the target set (e.g. [0,1]) with no
assumption of computability.

Hope this helps,
Mike.

Date Subject Author