Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

K_h

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in
message

>>> Agreed.

>>> No, Cantor's diagonal construction does not prove this,
>>> and nor is any of this machinery part of his proof.
>>>
>>> Cantor's proof applied to computable Reals proves that
>>> the computable Reals cannot be listed.

>> You have contradicted yourself. I wrote "All computable
>> reals can be listed,..." and your reply was "Agreed".

> Typo, sorry.
>
> My whole argument is that they cannot be listed in their
> entirety, or we could use a Cantor construction to produce
> a computable Real not on the list.

You are wrongly assuming that only computable sets exist.
That leaves out many sets. For example, if A is a subset of
N, with |A|>1, most of the functions from N to A don't exist
by your thinking. Because of your wrong assumption you
falsely conclude that your anti-diagonal produces a
computable real from the non-computable list containing all
computable reals.

_

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules