Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
>> The simple fact is that no such requirement exists. Cantor's diagonal
>> proof applies to *every* mapping from N to R, recursively enumerable
>> or not, showing that no such mapping is surjective.

> No. It requires that any listing be provided in advance, so that the
> anti-diagonal can be formed.

I did not have you pegged as someone who does not understand the
nature of mathematical proof, but it seems I was mistaken. Cantor's
proof is of the simple form

P(x) [ Conditional introduction ]
... [ Bulk of work goes here ]
~Q(x)
P(x) -> ~Q(x) [ Conditional proof ]
~Ex (P(x) and Q(x))

In this case P(x) is the predicate "x is a function mapping natural
numbers to real numbers". Q(x) is the predicate "x is surjective".

Note that nowhere does it require any additional properties on x, such
as being recursively enumerable, or your mathematical nonsense term
"provided in advance". You appear to be ascribing some special
significance to the initial "appearance" of x beyond the simple
conditional introduction.

If I have a proof that there is no greatest real number, and format it
as follows:

Suppose x is a real number. Then (bunch of stuff using the definition
of real number) there exists x+1 such that x+1 > x. Therefore there
does not exist a greatest real number.

This has the same logical form as Cantor's proof, just substituting
real numbers for lists and greatest for complete. Do you insist that
this proof holds only for computable x, because it must be "provided
in advance"?

> The simple fact is that if insert the word "computable" in front of
> every reference to "Real" in Cantor's proof that there is no list of
> all Reals, you produce a proof that thye computable Reals cannot be
> listed either.

No, you don't. You get an invalid proof, because although the
antidiagonal can be proven to be real regardless of what function maps
natural numbers to reals, it cannot be proven to be computable.

> Some countable sets cannot be listed either, such as the set of
> Computable Reals. This is because the set of computable Reals is not
> recursively enumerable, and hence cannot be listed by a terminating
> process.

Your requirement for "recursively enumerable" and "terminating
process" is completely irrelevant. An infinite list of members of a
set X is exactly a function from N to X. Nothing more or less. If
you are interpreting Cantor's proof in any other manner, you are plain
mistaken.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules