Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Umm ... they can be listed, but the list is not computable?

Correct. Is that difficult for you to understand?

> How are you going to give me a list of all computable Reals if you
> cannot compute what the first, second, third etc items in the list
> are?

There is no single *algorithm* that computes them all. There is
however a clear mathematical definition of such a list.

> In Cantor's diagonal proof, the list of Reals is provided in
> advance, such that the nth digit of the nth item is known.

Where is the phrase "provided in advance" used in the proof? You
appear to be mistaking a simple form of conditional introduction in
the proof for some completely unfounded computability assumption.

Suppose I say "suppose x is a real number. Therefore (x has some
property)". Do you take this to mean that x must be a *computable*
number, since it is "provided in advance"?

> All I am asking for in my proof that the computable reals cannot be
> listed is exactly the same thing as Canor's proof requires - a list
> of (computable) Reals provided in advance, such that the nth digit
> of the nth item is known.

Known? To whom? All is required is that it exists. That is, that
the list is a function from N to R and not some other type of
mathematical object.

> OK, give me a list of all computable Reals. In exactly the same form
> as Cantor requests that a list of Reals be produced, such that I can
> identify the nth digit of the nth term. Exactly as per Cantor's
> proof that the Reals cannot be listed.

You are reading a great deal of things into Cantor's proof that simply
are not there. I have now three times provided an explicitly defined
mapping from N to the set of computable reals. That is entirely
sufficient for Cantor's proof.

However, even that much is unnecessary! Cantor's proof starts with a
conditional introduction and then discharges that conditional later in
the proof, so that *nothing* need be provided "in advance".

> Given the list, its trivially easy to explicitly compute the
> anti-diagonal. Cantor provides an explicit construction.

Given the digits of Chaitin's Omega, it's trivially easy to explicitly
compute Omega+1. That does not make Omega+1 computable.

> You cannot give me a list of all computable numbers.
>
> Try, if you like.

Already done 3 times now. You have completely ignored it each time.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie