Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> You haven't specified the list. I have to guess at some of the
> entries in the list, as I don't actually know and cannot determine
> which TMs halt.

I have explicitly specified the list (which is actually a lot more
than Cantor's proof requires). It is not my problem whether you are
incapable of determining which TM's halt. It is a well-defined
mathematical function with all the properties assumed in Cantor's
proof.

Likewise the following is a valid list of binary digits: f(n) = 1 if
there are infinitely many prime pairs of the form (p, p+n), f(n) = 0
otherwise. It doesn't matter whether or not you personally know the
value of f(2), or even whether there exists an algorithm to find out:
it is still a well-defined mathematical object.

Are you now starting to see the difference between the term "list" (as
used in Cantor's proof) and "recursively enumerable list" (as you are
using in yours)?

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules