Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Virgil" <Virgil@home.esc> wrote in message
> In article <4c1c6011$0$17176$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

>> > Because you clearly don't know how a computable real is defined.

>> > I have, many times now.

>> > The latter part is incorrect. It produces a real, but not a
>> > computable real. If you believe otherwise, provide a proof that the
>> > antidiagonal real is computable.
>> >

>> Well, there are lots of definitions of a computable Real, I will use
>> Wikipedia's most intuitive definition: "computable reals, are the real
>> numbers that can be computed to within any desired precision by a finite,
>> terminating algorithm."
>>
>> 1. Given a list of computable Reals, we can identify the nth computable
>> Real
>> on the list by simply counting down to the nth entry.
>>
>> 2. Given the nth computable Real on the list, we can count off and
>> identify
>> the nth digit of this Real.
>>
>> 3. With the nth digit of the Real, we can use Cantor's construction to
>> identify the nth digit of the anti-diagonal.
>>
>> 4. As we can specify every digit in the anti-diagonal explicitly and to
>> any
>> desired degre of accuracy, it is therefore computable.

> But that requires that the list be given in advance, so that
> "anti-diagonal" is not really a single number so much as a function from
> lists to numbers with value depending on the particular list being
> chosen. So I am not quite confident that that situation qualifies as a
> computable number, which should not, in my mind, be dependent on a
> particular list of numbers being given.

Cantor's proof that Reals cannot be listed requires an explicit list, such
that the nth digit of the nth term can be determined.

My proof follows exactly the same form.

>> 5. But the anti-diagonal number does not appear on the list.
>>
>> 6. Therefore, the list could not have included all computable Reals.
>>
>> Exactly the same as Cantor's proof that the Reals cannot be listed. The
>> only
>> difference is that I have to prove that the anti-diagonal is also
>> computable, but because Cantor's proof explicitly constructs the
>> anti-diagonal it is clearly computable (as long as every item in the list
>> is
>> computable, which is the starting assumption which we prove to be
>> incorrect,
>> just like in Cantor's original proof).

> Actually not. The starting assumption had better be that list contains
> EVERY computable number if you are trying to prove something INcorrect.

That is the premise in Cantor's original proof - that it contains every
Real - and this is the premise in my slight reworking of it - that it
contains every computable Real.

> It is perfectly possible to have lists of computable numbers which are
> not complete in which case the anti-diagonal construction proves nothing.

Indeed. And its perfectly possible to have lists of Reals which are not
complete in which Cantor's construction proves nothing.

Cantor's proof starts with a purported list of all Reals; I start with a
purported list of all computable Reals.

The proof is *exactly the same*; that's the whole point, if it was different
it would not prove that just because a set cannot be explicitly listed does
not imply it is uncountable. What Cantor proved (in more modern parlance) is
that there is no recursively enumerable function from N -> R. That is not
the same as the set is uncountable. There is no r.e. function N ->
computable Reals, but these are still countable.

>> HTH
>>
>> Peter Webb

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules