Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>>> You have contradicted yourself. I wrote "All computable reals can be
>>> listed,..." and your reply was "Agreed".

>> Typo, sorry.
>>
>> My whole argument is that they cannot be listed in their entirety, or we
>> could use a Cantor construction to produce a computable Real not on the
>> list.

> You are wrongly assuming that only computable sets exist.

No.

Show me where I use this assumption in my proof.

> That leaves out many sets. For example, if A is a subset of N, with
> Because of your wrong assumption you falsely conclude that your
> anti-diagonal produces a computable real from the non-computable list
> containing all computable reals.

Cantor's original proof requires the list to be provided in advance, such
that the nth digit of the nth item on the list is known.

My proof has exactly the same requirements.

That is the whole point.

> _

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules